CBD is a short name for cannabidiol. It is a naturally growing compound present in the flowers, stem, leaves of hemp & cannabis plants. CBD can be blended into lotions, & creams or suspended in tinctures of liquid. It can be generated as liquids intended or solid crumbles to be consumed by vaping or smoking. CBD was discovered by the American chemist, Roger Adams, in the year 1942. After years of research and application and in the advent of the 2018 farm bill, the interest in CBD and CBD products has spiked exponentially. So, here is a CBD 101 crash course to know about the uber-popular compound.
What is CBD & How it Relates to Marijuana?
CBD is a powerful compound of plant that is naturally occurred in cannabis. CBD is not psychoactive & doesn’t contain any intoxicating impact on the body. This proves that people can utilize these cannabidiol products easily in their daily life & also in different situations. For instance, while working, driving, exercising, or while looking after children.
How CBD Work
• The Endocannabinoid System
The molecules of CBD interact with our internal system of endocannabinoid so that it can trigger a different physiological response when it is inhaled. As the human body consists of a whole network of natural receptors that are made to interact with the compounds of cannabinoid. Recently, scientists found the existence of the endocannabinoid system of humans. A well-functioning endocannabinoid system supports the human body to maintain the homeostatic balance to the immune system, nervous system, & also many other organs. Serious issues may arise when the endocannabinoid system is out of whack.
• CB1 & CB2 receptors
CB1 & CB2 are the 2 receptors that made the endocannabinoid system. They are made to accept the molecules of cannabinoids just like a key & lock. When this connection takes place, they influence one or more processes of the body like those connected to mood, pain, appetite, metabolism, sleep, sensation, & many more. These receptors respond to both the internal compound of endocannabinoid & the phytocannabinoids such as CBD.
CBD vs Marijuana
CBD is the 2nd supreme prevalent of the active components of marijuana (cannabis). As CBD is a necessary ingredient of medical marijuana, it is directly derived from the plant called hemp. The hemp plant is a cousin of the plant, marijuana. According to the report of WHO (World Health Organization), cannabidiol doesn’t induce any dependency or abuse-related effects in the human body. There is no proof or evidence related to the problems of public health while consuming this pure CBD.
Benefits of CBD
According to Brightfield’s survey of approximately 5000 people, more than 60% of users of CBD consuming this for anxiety. The industry of CBD is blossoming & projected to hit 16 billion dollars in the US by the year 2025. The CBD plant is already being used in toothpicks, breath sprays, & cheeseburgers. Cannabis is a magical plant on the whole as emerging research shows significant & promising healing properties of CBD. Some of the benefits of CBD which has been reported to support a broad array of mental & physical health problems are many of the worrying chronic problems in the world.
Conditions that CBD cures
• Anxiety, PTSD, stress, depression, ADHD, & other disorders of mood: Cannabinoid helps to stabilize & boost the entire mood of humans by developing a response of serotonin in the brain. Using CBD oils for anxiety management
• CBD has shown many benefits for managing pain. Using products including CBD for Pain has become a proper way to manage pain and Inflammation.
• Restlessness, insomnia, & other sleeping disorders: CBD products can helps the human to fall asleep fast, & also to sleep more soundly throughout the night. Though, it is a mistaken belief that it is a sedative. CBD can support human to maximize alertness & focus in the day time.
• Epilepsy & seizures: Among the 113 cannabinoids, CBD has been deemed an effective treatment for curbing the seizures related to the disease. It also has been used in an FDA-approved medicine to manage epileptic conditions.
• Tightness or muscle spasms: cannabinoid can treat discomfort related to menstrual cramps, endometriosis, & also in teeth grinding.
CBD oil contains an inert carrier oil mixed with CBD like hemp seed oil or coconut oil. The bottled oil which is known as tincture has been sold in numerous concentrations. There are various CBD capsules, CBD sprays, & CBD gummies. CBD oil can help in treating a broad category of health-related issues which include:
• Chronic pain
• High blood pressure
• Parkinson’s disease
Different CBD Products
CBD products are becoming famous in this modern era. As researchers understand the possible benefits of products of CBD, more manufactures are infusing their products with a cannabinoid. Although, it is essential to utilize safe & high-quality CBD-infused products. Some of the top products of CBD are:
• Oils and Tinctures: It is typically an extract of different types of herbs and plant material that is dissolved in ethyl alcohol. The concentration of solvent is 25-60% in the tinctures. It is easy to take you just have to drop some drops of the tinctures on or under your tongue. Dosage can range from 100mg -1000mg on the daily basis.
• Capsules: CBD capsules are easy to take than tinctures and use can easily add CBD to your diet as a daily supplement. It offers typically 10-25mg of CBD. It is the most common type of CBD product. Capsules are great as it is the easiest way to take in your daily dose. You have to just one capsule or as recommended by a doctor.
• Concentrates: It is a concentrated form of CBD. It contains the highest dose of CBD as compared to the other CBD products. It contains ten times more than the normal CBD products. It is similar to the tinctures to take but the dose of CBD is high. To take the Concentrated CBD you just take the drop of it under or on the tongue and ingest it slowly.
• CBD Edibles like CBD gummies are also being developed to manage similar issues. For instance, using CBD for pets has been a popular use case for edibles with CBD in them.
• Topicals: CBD topicals are used to help with inflammation, cancer treatment, chronic pain, acne, anti-aging, and many more. Many brands are adding CBD onto topicals, such as lip balms, lotions, and salves for skin benefits. To know about the topical products, search on the product that uses encapsulation, nanotechnology, or micellization of CBD. Use the CBD topical products when you deem necessary or when you have some skin conditions or problems.
• Sprays: In the CBD sprays the concentration of CBD is low as compared to the other CBD products. The concentration of the CBD in the sprays range from 1-3mg. To take the CBD you have to spray the droplets of CBD spray into your mouth. Take the sprays as mention by the doctor.
• Vapes: It is the least effective when it takes vaporizing CBD vape oil or smoking as compared to the other method of using CBD, such as sprays, tinctures, and capsules.
CBD vs THC
Both CBD &THC are compounds of nature, & imitative from the same plant i.e., Cannabis Sativa. Here are some of the points of CBD vs THC;
CBD (cannabidiol) & THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) are the 2 noticeable cannabinoids that are found in the cannabis plant. Both hemp & cannabis generate CBD & THC.
THC & CBD have similar chemical makeup, 30 hydrogen atoms, 21 carbon atoms, & 2 oxygen atoms. The major dissimilarity is that they do not have a similar chemical arrangement. The body obtains them as different compounds. Both these compounds bind to neurotransmitters in the human brain & affect things such as pain, memory, mood, & sleep.
The THC compound is the one that is known for the huge sensation human can get, a psychoactive response. It is though illegal in various states. Alternatively, CBD is termed as a non-psychoactive component. Products with CBD (cannabidiol) may contain a trace of THC up to 0.3% & it will not result in any psychoactive responses.
Both the compounds CBD & THC communicate with the human body’s endocannabinoid system. The Endocannabinoid system is the vital physiological system that is involved in maintaining & establishing the health of humans. It plays a key role in regulating various processes & functions which comprise mood, memory, sleep, fertility, & reproduction. They both have different properties with different medicinal advantages though, they both communicate with the system of ECS.
CBD has occasional and circumstantial side effects. If somehow side effects occurred, it may be due to interacting with another drug that is consumed by a person at the same time. On the other hand, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) may have some known side effects like coordination problems, increased heart rate, red eyes, memory loss, & dry mouth.
In a nutshell, CBD is a fascinating, evolving, & complex compound to explore. It is a natural plant that claims promising advantages for a broad array of mental & physical health ailments by aiding the human body to maintain necessary homeostasis. Ingesting cannabinoids as oils or edibles brings benefits to the full human body with fewer risks and more benefits as detailed above.